Es Alee

Beginning Friday, May 18, the C2B Race has been developed to give every sailing enthusiast, from the diehard racer to the family crewed adventurers, a chance to participate in a 777 nautical mile challenge of navigational skill and true bluewater sailing.

Postby darby142 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:57 pm

YEAH for ES ALEE and thank GOD for motors!!
darby142

Postby guest » Thu May 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Eric: Thanks for your support and the use of your boat. You have allowed this crew an experience of a lifetime and one they will never forget. Can't wait to hear the stories. Patti

Postby guest » Thu May 24, 2007 10:45 pm

Thanks for the updates guys.
We have been watching and started to get a little concerned here too.
I am glad they made a good decision and are taking the safer option!

Hooray for Es Alee!!!

Vanessa and Mike in AR

Reservations

Postby Harry » Fri May 25, 2007 10:19 am

Hey, guys!

Steve has a room confirmed and booked here at Munro Cottages, which is very nice and reasonably priced for Bermuda-. What a great gift!

The desk assured me that they can add at least one more reservation, just in case for Johann or someone else, if necessary, for Saturday (which seems to be the arrival day). The number again is (441) 234-1175.

The weather here today is gorgeous--best day yet! I hope the crew is enjoying the same, they certainly deserve it.

Harry Waikart
Harry

Postby Ryan Cate » Fri May 25, 2007 11:08 am

Hey Harry! Keep the updates coming as you get them as we are a bit nervous about their situation. Thanks bro-in-law! Take care!
Ryan Cate

Postby darby142 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:35 am

Does anyone know what ES ALEE's weather conditions are today?
darby142

Postby guest » Fri May 25, 2007 1:36 pm

The latest on E'sAlee--everyone start laughing now. Still a 20 kt headwind and 5-8 foot seas but that is the good part. They just ran out of fuel in one tank since they are only getting about 3 miles per hour/per gallon. Needless to say, at that rate, they do not have enough fuel. So, the jib is back out, the course is changed so they can motor sail on a close haul. This has increased their speed to about 5 kts, but, of course, they now are not headed straight for Bermuda. Poor things--they just can't get a break. If ya'll get a chance, read Will Haynie's report today. Should be on "Latest News" section and you can find his blog at charleston.net. If I hear anything more today, I will let you know. Patti
P.S. Steve and Scott Sale are pretty darn good at sailing into a slip. I can just image the whole crew with a sigh of relief when they get to dry land.

Postby darby142 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks for the update Patti, this trip will definitely be an unforgettable adventure for them all.

Since they are sailing/motoring into Bermuda is there any way to know what their eta will be?

Rhonda
darby142

Postby guest » Fri May 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Rhonda: If they are 140 miles away, and averaging 5 kts every hr, that puts them 28 hours out. Of course, that could change if they could average 6 kts or 4 kts. The bad thing is that they are unable to motorsail a direct course unless the wind changes, which drags things out a bit. Hope that gives you some idea. Pray to the wind gods to shift direction. Patti

Postby guest » Fri May 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Just checked and the track shows them 117 miles out going close to 6 kts. That would put them in there in about 19 hours. Sounds better. patti

Postby guest » Fri May 25, 2007 5:29 pm

I was on-board right before they pulled away from the dock, but for the life of me can't remember how much extra fuel they took in jerry cans. At 1800 rpm's the engine burns 1/2w gal/hr, but I suspect they need more power to make headway with the conditions they are seeing. Fuel usage goes up dramaticlaly with higher rpm's. The tanks officially hold 75 gal total, but the realistic capacity is 65-68 gal. They would be running the engine 2X/day to keep the batteries charged, probably 30-45 min each charge. So, say 1.5 hrs/day for charging x 7 days = 10.5 hrs = 5 or 6 gal, leaving around 60 gal for motoring. Probably 48 hours worth of fuel or less in tanks, so jerry jug fuel may be very necessary. Under the circumstances, motor-sailing is a very prudent decision. With all that said, I know they are feeling like Bermuda is sliding to the east. As the weather lets up, their progress will improve greatly. Eric

Fuel and Dinner

Postby Harry » Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Does anyone know if it's against any sailing race rules to rent a speed boat with a bunch of extra fuel tanks and bring them a catered meal and gas? Just kidding, Elin would kill me, but it's tempting. But, I'm definitely available for the mission if the Captain calls or directs me!!

They're getting close now, I really hope Saturday is the day!

Harry Waikart
Harry

Postby darby142 » Sat May 26, 2007 12:09 am

Don't know if it's against the racing rules but sounds like a GREAT idea!
Rhonda
darby142

Previous

Return to Charleston to Bermuda 2007