Es Alee

Beginning Friday, May 18, the C2B Race has been developed to give every sailing enthusiast, from the diehard racer to the family crewed adventurers, a chance to participate in a 777 nautical mile challenge of navigational skill and true bluewater sailing.

Es Alee

Postby darby142 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:23 pm

Hey Will! Thanks for your updates!
Lots of us are cheering for Es Alee & her crew...Debra, Rhoni, Ray (dad) and Cent Com!

WOOHOO!! GO ES ALEE!!! :)
Last edited by darby142 on Thu May 24, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darby142

Postby guest » Thu May 24, 2007 7:57 am

We, and many friends, have been tracking E's Alee also - on almost an hourly basis. What an interesting trip - just about every weather and sea condition one can imagine. I am thankful the weather they are now experiencing came after their passage through the Gulf Stream. Given their present course and wind conditions, I'm thinking St. Thomas might be a good alternative destination. For the students, this will provide more experience than five normal trips of the same distance. Eric Schweitzer

Postby guest » Thu May 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Hey guys,

we are also tracking the Es Alee. Can't wait to hear the stories!!!
Go Es Alee!!!!!

V and Mike

Happy Bermuda Day!

Postby Harry » Thu May 24, 2007 2:06 pm

It's been really exciting tracking the race, my wife, Elin, is on E's Alee (the only girl)--sounds like she's holding her own as usual from the reports.

I've been waiting here in Bermuda for their arrival and wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Bermuda Day (independence day here)!!

Hope to see the sailors soon in Port so we can hear some stories. Also, I was glad to see the boat turn more northerly finally--I was beginning to think they were heading to another island or that Elin talked them into going to Cuba for a mojito!

Harry Waikart
Harry

Postby darby142 » Thu May 24, 2007 3:24 pm

When ES ALEE was headed in the direction of Cuba I thought Scotty (AR Police Officer/Soldier) was taking his crew mates to visit his birthplace!

Nice to know there's someone in Bermuda to cheer for them when they arrive, they deserve a big cheer!

Harry will you be taking pictures when ES ALEE sails into the marina? If so, I'd love to have copies.

Rhonda Rogers
darby142

Es Alee

Postby tkfoss1 » Thu May 24, 2007 3:57 pm

I am tracking too, way to go Bill (Step dad) on going up the mast and putting a reef in the main sail while riding rough water, that had to be one of the scariest things you have done in a while. Uncle Scott this is one hell of a vacation. I wish everyone the best and stay safe. Hope you took pictures.

Hey Aunt Rhonda thanks for taking care of mom while Bill is gone.

Tim "CENTCOM" Foss
tkfoss1

Photos

Postby Harry » Thu May 24, 2007 4:31 pm

Hi, Rhonda.

I will definitely try to get some photos of the finish and I'll be happy to pass them along for anyone who's interested. I'm no pro, but I'll do my best to capture the moment.

The weather has been considerably calmer today here from last night, hopefully, the same has been true for the crew.

Harry Waikart
Harry

EsAlee

Postby guest » Thu May 24, 2007 4:43 pm

Harry: I've been in touch with the Fairmont Hotel in Bermuda regarding Johann Schonasses and Scott Rogers' reservations. Currently, I think Johann's has been changed for arrival on Friday and Scott's (and Bill's) for Saturday. Can you make sure they have a room no matter what day they arrive? Scott's is under the name of Raymond (Scott) Rogers. Thanks. Patti Enloe

Hotel

Postby Harry » Thu May 24, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi, Patti.

I'll do what I can to check on the reservations. I can't imagine it would be a problem considering the size of that Hotel. Worst case, there are villas available where Elin and I are staying and no one has them booked until next week, so don't worry.

Considering the last report from the ship, they sound like they're in a miserable spot. Where they are is almost exactly where another boat just withdrew--I'm actually starting to worry a little about their safety in those conditions. Looks like the last day will be very rough.

Harry Waikart
Harry

Postby guest » Thu May 24, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks, Harry. Can you make a reservation for a couple of nights for my Steve (a gift from his loving wife) at some place? I think he needs to get off that boat when they arrive. I tried to see what was available online and everywhere they say, no rooms available. You can email me at penloe@comcast.net and I will give you a credit card number or give me a phone number and I will call them. Yes, I think they are worn out and very, very tired. Three days of no wind and jumping into the ocean swimming and bathing and then more wind and seas than they ever expected. Seas and wind are suppose to subside and hope they do so they can make a great run to Bermuda. Patti

Reservations

Postby Harry » Thu May 24, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi, Patti.

I did some checking and suprisingly to me there does appear to be some availability issues here. The direct number for the Fairmont Property is (441) 295-3000 and they informed me that they currently have only one room reserved for Raymond Rogers for Fri-Sat. The receptionist said they currently do not have a reservation for Johann. The hotel is booked from Saturday on.

The reservations lady for our villa has gone for the day (today is a national holiday), but I believe there is availability here. The office is open from 9:00 to 4:30 and the number is (441) 234-1175. They also list an emergency after hours number of (441) 799-5948. I will check with them first thing in the morning and let you know. I believe there are a few units here unoccupied for their arrival dates, but I'll keep my ears open and let you know what I can find out.

Harry Waikart
Harry

Postby guest » Thu May 24, 2007 7:14 pm

To Friends, Family, Supportors, etc. of EsAlee:

Just got a call and email from Steve. All is well, everyone is fine, but they have thrown in the towel. They just can't get to Bermuda from their position with the wind on their nose. Harry, I will call the Fairmont tomorrow and check on Johann's reservation. If you can change any or all to Saturday, that is when they expect to arrive. I will call your place tomorrow and see if I can make a reservation for Steve. They are currently motoring and still unable to make any headway. Thanks for all your support. It has been a grand adventure and the crew is happy to have made a decision to get to Bermuda the fastest way possible. Patti

Postby darby142 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi Harry & Patti
Hey thanks for checking on the room for Scotty. I have a room reserved for he & Bill, their reservation starts on Friday. I have their room for Friday to make sure it's available if they arrive in the wee hours.

Enjoy Bermuda Harry!
Thanks again Patti for your concern, I appreciate it.

Rhonda
darby142

Almost there!

Postby Harry » Thu May 24, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi, Guys.

Thanks for the update.

I don't know if I was helpful or not, but please let me know if there is anything else I can check on or do other than the reservations. I will definitely continue to check on some available units in case anyone needs one and let you guys know. It's been a little tough to get information today because of the big holiday--most of the people working seem to be reserve staff or have very little information.

I am a bit relieved that the crew is heading in under power (I have not been enjoying the conditions reports here). I'm really not sure I'm cut out to be a sailor's husband--this is all very stressful for us landlubbers.

I'm very proud of all of them, they are all exceptionally brave and tough and I can't wait to see them arrive safely. What an adventure!

Harry Waikart
Harry

Postby guest » Thu May 24, 2007 8:53 pm

I have been concerned with the conditions the past two days for the E's Alee crew also. In the 2005 race, my wife stayed concerned the entire trip, and we didn't experience nearly the harsh conditions they are seeing this race. While the experiences will last a lifetime, and this voyage will no doubt result in some great stories, sometimes enough is enough. Mother nature has put on quite a show, as happens on the open ocean. I'm really proud of each and every one of them. Eric

Next

Return to Charleston to Bermuda 2007